Open In App

You Can’t Outgive God

Due to health reasons, I have mostly worked odd jobs this year and that does not provide steady income.  When I earn small amounts of money at odd jobs, it is very tempting not to tithe. Fear tells me to hold on to everything I have in case it runs out. As 2 Corinthians 9:7 instructs, however, I had “decided in [my] heart” what I would give years ago, so I tithe every chance I get. Malachi 3:10 gives me encouragement, where God says to “test Him” by “bringing the whole tithe into the storehouse.” It is truly amazing what God does when I tithe; it seems that when I have the most doubt and still give to my local church, my opportunities for odd jobs explode! He truly has blessed and provided for me.

There is no formula for giving and receiving God’s blessing. For example, if we give 10 percent to our local church, God will not necessarily triple our income. But, He does promise to bless us and God has never and will never break a promise. I know in my own life, I have never been in need (2 Corinthians 9:8). I can give with a cheerful heart because I know on the other side of obedience is joy. 

God doesn’t need our money. He owns the universe (Psalm 50:12), He has infinite resources at His disposal and He is the Ultimate Giver (James 1:17). We can’t outgive God. If we tithe to the local church, God will turn around and bless us (Malachi 3:10-12, 2 Corinthians 9:8-11). He just wants us to trust Him and obey by giving back a portion of what is already His.


  • If you haven’t tried tithing, what is holding you back?
  • If you do tithe, how have you seen God bless your obedience?
  • How is God calling you to not only tithe 10% of your income to the local church, but to be generous with the remaining 90%?

Like what you just read? Download the NewSpring App for an even better reading experience. You can read, share, and bookmark your favorites quickly and easily from your phone.

Related devotionals

We want you to have a safe experience while using our site.

Unfortunately, there are security risks associated with your browser. To keep you protected we will be discontinuing support to this browser. Please visit for a secure browser update.