Just when you think things can't get worse
From Jeremiah: A 33-Day Devotional
Anyone who’s ever played sports has heard ball players bemoan their hard luck and the consequences they suffer. We’ve also heard the backlash from teammates who don’t want to hear their whining:
“Stuff a sock in it!”
“Suck it up!”
“Rub some dirt on it!”
Like a frustrated athlete, Jeremiah brings God a list of complaints about how God has set him up for failure. Jeremiah was trying his best to warn Judah to turn back to God or they would suffer. But nobody was paying attention. Jeremiah whined. And God answered like a tough coach at half-time: “You think this has been hard? Just wait! It’s gonna get worse — a lot worse. Rub some dirt on it, and get back in there!”
Sometimes, it’s hard to listen to God and follow His commands. Proverbs 3:5-6 shows us three steps that can help:
- Trust God to know you better than you know yourself! Seek to understand God’s desire for you.
- Submit completely to God’s strength. Present your concerns and questions to God in prayer asking for His advice then wait for it to happen.
- Recognize that God will never lead you away from His perfect plan. His answer might not be what we want when we want. But it will always be exactly what we need when we need it.
We can’t play the game ignoring the coach. We have a mighty God who is faithful to be with us and give us peace as we trust Him and obey His commands.
- When have you had the most difficulty following God’s commands?
- What’s one way you can submit to God’s strength this week?