Three steps to overcoming temptation
From Matthew: A 28-Day Devotional
We’ve all been tempted. Sometimes it’s something small, like a delicious dessert when trying to lose weight. Other times it’s something big, like believing that God could not possibly love us or we’ve been too sinful for Him to care anymore.
Lies and temptation have been coming our way since Satan convinced Adam and Eve that God was holding out on them, and they fell for it.
“No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it” (1 Corinthians 10:13).
Our God knows we will be tempted, and God Himself will provide an escape plan. Matthew 4:1-11 tells the story of Jesus’ own temptation and how to defeat temptation as He did:
- Temptation comes when we seem weak and defenseless, so be alert. (Matthew 4:1-2 and 2 Corinthians 12:10)
- The scriptures are our weapons against temptation, so arm yourself. (Ephesians 6:17 and James 1:25)
- God is faithful to protect us and provide for us so we can endure. (John 14:27 and Matthew 6:30)
If we give up and give in, temptation leads to sin (James 1:2-15). But this doesn't have to be the case! Jesus gives us the Holy Spirit to lead us and remind us whose we are (John 14:23-24). God is faithful to protect and provide an escape plan. The question is will we be faithful and take it?
- What are you most tempted by?
- Jesus was hungry, so Satan tempted Him with food. Satan knows our weaknesses, and like Jesus, we can defeat temptation by knowing God's promises. Find a Bible reading plan or text READ MY BIBLE to 30303 to a devotional via text every morning.