Dear God, deepen my love and appreciation of your Word
From Amen: A 27-Day Prayer Guide
When we open our Bibles, we open ourselves up to hear from the creator of the universe.
God is a loving God. He wants to spend time with us. Everything about reading the Bible changes when we recognize that we’re not checking off a box but rather communing with God. A change in your perspective can change the time you’re spending with God.
The Bible is as sharp as a double-edged sword. It’s through the truth of the Bible that the Lord convicts and corrects our hearts. Scripture is where His heart meets ours, and He speaks to us. When we have a deep love and appreciation for God’s Word, we have a deep love and appreciation for God Himself.
- What is something you appreciate about God? He wants to know what you like about Him.
- How has He used Scripture to speak to you lately? Celebrate and thank Him for meeting you in His Word.
- Are you anticipating that God will speak with you through the Bible? When we read just to read, we may miss something He’s trying to tell us.
- What are you asking God to do when you read the Bible? Are you asking for answers, for clarity, for His presence? It’s not wrong to tell God what you’re seeking.
- Is there any part of the Bible that confuses you? Ask God for clarity.
- Have you asked God to guide you while you read the Bible? He wants to help you understand.
- Is there a part of your life where the Lord has tried to correct your heart but you haven’t listened? God wants you to trust that He has your best in mind. Ask for forgiveness, and whatever next step He calls you to, take it today.