Dear God, guide my career choices
From Amen: A 27-Day Prayer Guide
God has a purpose and a plan for your life. It may not seem that way when you’ve been passed over for a promotion, when you can’t find work in your field, or when you’re still trying to figure out what “your field” is.
When you watch friends start careers while you’re waiting tables, it’s easy to question whether God has a calling for you. The good news is God promises to show us the way if we seek and trust Him.
God doesn’t want us to be lost, but He does want us to lean on Him for understanding. The more we seek Him, the better we understand Him, and that leads us to who He has made us to be.
- How does it feel to know God’s loving eye is on you (Psalm 32:8)? Thank God that you don’t have to figure everything out right away because He promises to show us the way we should go.
- How have you seen God’s faithfulness so far in your work life? Praise God for the skills He’s equipped you with and the lessons He’s showing you about who you were made to be.
- What do you hope God will accomplish through you as you work? It’s OK to be excited about that! Let Him know you are all in for whatever He wants to do in and through you.
- How does it change your perspective on work to know that life on Earth is practice for God’s kingdom to come? Share what you’re excited to see in heaven as a result of what God is doing through you on Earth.
- Have you been wrestling with tough decisions at work? Ask God for guidance.
- Do you feel overwhelmed by the options ahead of you? Ask God to give you peace and point you in a clear direction.
- Is there a need (financial or otherwise) that your current job isn’t filling? Ask God to provide and to give you the wisdom to know the opportunities that are from Him.