What to do when following Jesus feels foolish
From Genesis: A 7-Week Devotional
Do you trust God?
Most followers of Jesus would answer “yes” without even pausing to consider the question. But, do we really trust Him deep down in our hearts? It’s not until He tells us to do something difficult, uncomfortable, or just plain crazy that we realize the true answer.
One of the best examples in the Bible of someone who fully trusted God was Noah. We see it in Genesis 6 when God commanded Noah to build an ark. Think about it:
- Noah lived in a desert, so the idea of a flood was not logical (Genesis 6:17).
- Building a boat longer than a football field would have seemed impossible (Genesis 6:14-16).
- Gathering two of every animal onto the ark surely felt crazy (Genesis 6:19-20).
- God leaving only Noah and his family alive must have seemed not only unreasonable but also scary and sad—everyone they knew would die (Genesis 6:18).
But, even in the face of all those reasons to doubt and disobey, "Noah did everything just as God commanded him” (Genesis 6:22). By obeying God’s commands, Noah demonstrated he trusted God and was willing to follow Him—no matter how difficult—because Noah knew that God had a plan and a purpose.
Our choices are a demonstration of our trust.
Our choices are a demonstration of our trust. Obedience is not always easy. What God calls us to do may not always be logical, practical, or comfortable. But we can be confident that He always has a purpose and plan for every step He calls us to take. So…do you trust Him?
- What is one area of your life that you struggle to trust God with? Your family, relationships, money, health, career, etc.?
- What step is God calling you to take that requires you to fully trust and rely on Him?
- What is one thing you need to do today to begin taking that step?