Dear God, someone I love is sick
From Amen: A 27-Day Prayer Guide
Watching someone you love suffer from a serious or chronic illness hurts. Maybe you’re sad, scared, or feel helpless. You can’t take away their illness, but you can be there for them, and you can pray.
Jesus’ brother James says to pray for people when they are sick. And he says, “The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective” (James 5:16). That doesn’t mean we have to be perfect to pray. God considers us righteous because of our faith in Jesus.
Jesus promises to heal all of us — either in this life or the next. He also promises that we will see His goodness in this life (Psalm 27:13). And He promises to be with us, comfort us, and provide for us. We can overflow with hope when we trust Jesus and put our faith in Him (Romans 15:13).
- How have you seen Jesus bring comfort to and provide for your loved one in their illness? Thank Him for fulfilling His promises.
- What parts of God’s goodness are you looking forward to experiencing during this illness? Thank Him in advance for what He is going to do.
- One day your loved one will be healed, either on earth or in heaven. Talk to God about what you are hoping for that person.
- What illness is your loved one facing? What would complete healing look like? Ask God specifically to heal and restore him or her completely.
- Is there a sin in your life you need to make right with God? Confess and ask God for forgiveness.
- Is there a treatment your loved one is facing? Ask God to protect him or her from side effects and to guide those involved in his or her care.