Dear God, where are you in natural disasters?
From Amen: A 27-Day Prayer Guide
Floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, and tsunamis — it seems like every few months a natural disaster devastates part of the world. Not only do natural disasters bring pain, devastation, and death, they remind us just how out of control we are.
We can’t redirect a hurricane, cork a volcano, or still the shaking ground. All we can do is prepare for the worst, and pray for the best. The good news is God promises to be with us in whatever circumstances we face. As David says in Psalm 23:4, “Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me, your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
When we feel scared and out of control, Jesus comforts us and gives us what we need to get through. The Lord has compassion on us, He will not go back on His promise of peace, and His love will not be shaken, no matter how much our world is shaking (Isaiah 54:10).
- How have you experienced God’s comfort, presence, and peace? Thank Him for being with you.
- What does it mean to you to know that even when your world is shaking, God’s love for you is never shaken? Talk to Him about that.
- Natural disasters are going to occur until Jesus comes back. Talk to Jesus about what you’re looking forward to experiencing with His return.
- What promise from God do you need most in the middle of tragedy? Thank God that He’s already fulfilled that promise.
- Are you recovering from a natural disaster? Do you know someone who is? What specifically do you need? Ask God to provide it. And ask Him if there is a need He wants you to provide for.
- Natural disasters remind us that we don’t have control. Is there something in your life you are refusing to give God control of? Confess that to Him, and ask for forgiveness.
- What are you afraid of when it comes to natural disasters? Ask God for protection.
- What do you most need help with during or after a natural disaster? Ask God for guidance.