Dear God, help me to forgive others
From Amen: A 27-Day Prayer Guide
“When she apologizes, I’ll forgive her.”
“When he deserves it, I’ll forgive him.”
“I’ll forgive, but I won’t forget.”
We hold back forgiveness for all sorts of reasons, and when we do, the only person we hurt is ourselves.
Refusing to forgive empowers and prolongs our offense, whether real or imagined. But as we forgive, we are freed from the anger and energy it takes to hold hard feelings against another person. Forgiveness isn’t about setting them free; it’s about setting us free.
God empowers us through His grace to know how to forgive as an expression of our own grace toward others. God forgives and forgets, not because we deserve it, but because He is merciful.
God wants us to be like Him and to do as He would do.
- What has God forgiven you for and freed you from? Let Him know how thankful you are for His grace and mercy in your life.
- Romans 12:19 reminds us that punishing others is God’s job, not ours. How are you hoping to see God bring justice to this situation?
- What has anger and bitterness cost you professionally, financially, or relationally? Let God know what you are hoping He will change in you as you learn to forgive.
- What stops you from forgiving others? Ask God to give you a heart like His as you choose to forgive those who hurt you.
- Who do you need to forgive or ask for forgiveness today? Ask God to forgive you and to give you the courage to seek forgiveness from others.